The 2011 state elections might be over but the work has just begun. We need to continue the push to do the things we need to do to make Louisiana better:
· We still need to improve our education outcomes, reduce dropouts and ensure that students are prepared to move into some area of post-secondary education.
· We still need to improve on numerous quality of life of life indicators, particularly in the area of health.
· We still need to upgrade our transportation system, including roads, ports and airports.
· We still need to have a better trained workforce to meet the needs of employers and boost opportunities for citizens.
· We still need to modernize our economy and place a greater focus on the jobs of the future that will be higher paying and driven by technology, innovation and the research taking place in our universities and other institutions across the state.
· We still need to have an honest discussion on budget priorities and fiscal policies as we will continue to face tight/tough budget conditions.
Of course, none of these things are new. In fact, CABL has been working on many of them for years and it’s good to note that on most of them we have seen progress.
But the job’s not finished. The elections are over but CABL will focus over the next four years on these strategic, important priority issues. To that end, we’ve put together some easy-to-understand issues briefings in select areas we think should be top priorities.